Mayor Pro Tem Kingsley Botchway II was appointed to his current position in late 2014 and began his time on Iowa City Council in January 2013. Botchway holds a bachelor’s degree in criminology from the University of South Carolina (he is a native of SC), and a professional doctorate in law from the University of Iowa. He has served on many boards and commissions while in Iowa City, especially as a former member of the Juvenile Youth Justice Development Board, the Community Police Review Board, and former chair of the Iowa City Ad Hoc Diversity Committee. His Council accomplishments include, but are not limited to:
- Passage of the 1st inclusionary zoning ordinance in the history of Iowa
- Passage of a wage theft ordinance
- Introduction of a racial & socioeconomic equity review toolkit
- Creation of Affordable Housing Fund with over $1,000,000
- Creation task-force to reduce the number of food insecure families in Johnson County
- Creation of fund to support racial equity issues in Iowa City
Currently, he works for the Iowa Community School District as the Director of Equity & Engagement.